Friday, September 23, 2005

On the Way to Robert's

This is post 5 of Section I. To begin at the beginning, go here.

“How was your meeting?” he asked apprehensively as he maneuvered their old Mercedes through rush-hour traffic.
“Very exciting,” Gwen said, not looking at him. “We’re planning for the parade, you know.”
“Oh?” Bennett groaned inwardly. Last year his son had been playing jazz on a float, wearing the see-through thing, of course. Made the evening news.
“I think we’ll be toward the rear,” Gwen said brightly. “Just behind the Transgendered Brigade, but ahead of the AIDS Quilt, of course.”
“Ah,” Bennett said, changing lanes expertly.
“You could lose yourself in the crowd, you know,” she ventured, looking at him out of the corner of her eye.
He concentrated on traffic. “Correct me if I am wrong,” Bennett said, “but I recall that last year you were engulfed by a gang of leather-clad Harpy motorcyclists, whom you assisted in holding an inconspicuous lavender parachute inscribed ‘Her-ley Davidson.’ I--”
“Oh for heaven’s sakes, Ed,” she said, turning to face him. “That was only because I sprained my ankle, and for your information the young woman who so kindly let me ride with her turned out to have met Chloe at a literary conference.”
Bennett made a strangled noise to stifle his “What is the profession coming to?” tirade and patted Gwen’s leg. “I’ll think about it,” he said, which was true, if recurrent nightmares counted as thought.

Continue

8 Comments:

Blogger Tom & Icy said...

I wonder if Baxter and Baily will be in the parade?

1:40 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

What does Bennet have against harpies? I'm offended.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T&I: Gwen would be happy to have them.

Doug: I'm sorry. I didn't know about your sister. But Bennett is just narrow-minded. I'm sorry.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played the harp in the marching band.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Indeterminacy said...

I like that last line about the recurrent nightmares. Don't think I ever saw that thought expressed in just that manner.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Oh, that's cold.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

Well Dog Breth, I hope you enjoyed it because none of us thinks you are going to get to play one in HEAVEN!!!!!!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, and thanks for visiting, Indie.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home