Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Toast

This is post 9 of Section I. To begin at the beginning, go here.

Stephen was sent off to do homework. Bennett was just approving the over-stuffed olive in his drink and meditating on a suitable toast for the occasion when Robert bustled in, laying a tray of crackers and imported cheese on the trunk that served as a coffee table. He looked apprehensive, as usual. “Hi Mom,” he said, as they hugged tightly. Then he bent in towards his father for the ritual half-hearted back slap. “Hi Dad. Sorry I couldn’t get away before. You’ve all been introduced? I see you’ve met some of Jack’s best friends—Martini and Rossi.”
Robert and Jack smiled at each other over this old line, and seeing this Bennett felt a sudden sadness. He looked quickly at Gwen to see if she had also been reminded of those moments of connection, but she was looking at the young men, her face happy and proud. He felt a pang of jealousy, but he knew exactly what it would take for him to get that look from her at the moment, and he still couldn’t parade.
He cleared his throat. “A—toast,” he said, rising to his feet and wincing slightly as his kneecap collided with the lock of the trunk table. “To happy couples.”
Robert called back, “I’ll drink to that in here,” as he scurried to the kitchen. Bennett and Jack drank, facing each other. Gwen sipped, watching them hopefully.

Continue

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom & Icy said...

I got confused and kept calling Ed Bennett 'Robert'. I seem to have problems anchoring names to characters the same way I do with people in real life. I just cannot concentrate on all the details right now. I get half way through and start thinking about personal problems and really don't soak in what the story is saying. I went back and read it from the beginning again and now understand it a lot better. Somehow I missed that Robert was Ed's son. It had confused me that Ed was being called by his last name and everyone else was called by their first name. I have no knowledge or understanding of the gay issues no more than the mixed-race issues. It just seems like people passing by outside my window while my own life is crashing down around me.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about that. Maybe you'll like Bennett's daughter better.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Aw, nice. You know, these posts are the perfect length for a blog, but when you're done, could you make a pdf document so we can re-read in one sitting?

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug: Thanks. You can decide if you still want one at the end.

T&I: Is your life crashing? More than usual, I mean? Was Daisy's visit that depressing?

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home