Sunday, November 20, 2005

Gregory's Call, Part Two

This is post 9 of Section III. To begin at the beginning, go here. Section II begins here. Section III begins here.

“Gregory,” she said.
“Yes Chloe?” he said formally.
“Don’t come. I’ll be back after the ceremony, and we can talk then.”
“You don’t want me to come?”
“ I don’t think it’s a good idea.”
There was a pause. “Will you at least let me talk to my daughter?”
“Of course.”
Chloe called her to the phone. After a short conversation she handed the phone back to her mother and ran off.
“Sounds like she’s having a great time,” he said, trying another tack.
“Yes. We all are,” Chloe said.
“Great. That’s wonderful. You know I only want you to be happy, Chloe. I’ve always only wanted whatever would make you happy.”
“I appreciate that, Gregory.”
“There’s no need, Chloe, there really isn’t. Just rest, o. k.? Promise me you’ll take care of yourself?”
After she hung up, Chloe gagged over the toilet. Then she took a bath. She would have taken a nap, but her father wanted to read Middlemarch to her, so she listened.

Continue

5 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

He's just so compassionate. How could Chloe leave someone who cares that much for her?

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just dont know, Mr. Dog!!!!! Of course, I haven't read the hole thing, but I totally agree about his character!!!!!!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Compassion? Love? Doug, I have a nice bridge I can sell you.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. I got swampland in Florida.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I already own a bridge over some swampland in Florida, thank you.

My verifier is "apebor," meaning, "Tom & Icy"

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home