Thursday, September 29, 2005

Privacy on Parade

This is post 11 of Section I. To begin at the beginning, go here.

“So what have you guys been up to?” Robert asked, looking, as he always did, at Gwen.
“I’m glad you asked,” she said, smiling. Bennett felt the beauty of her face in the candlelight pleasantly pulling him away from his pesto. But she continued, “Since you and Ed seem to be hitting it off so nicely, Jack, I wish you’d do me a favor and try to persuade him to march in the Gay Pride Parade this year. Maybe Robert told you, I’m active in PFLAG, and you know we’re--”
Jack cut her off, waving a tortellini-laden fork. “Gwen, Gwen. Ask of me what you will, even unto half my kingdom, but I’m a private person myself, and I have to respect that in others.”
“Hear hear!” Bennett thought, and allowed his gaze to rest briefly in surprised admiration on his son, clarinetist, cook, and chooser of Jack, until Robert noticed and registered his own surprise.

Continue

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Nice move, Jack. Where's the quote from (for the three degrees and under crowd) Sounds kinda Henry II-ish.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all my 5 degrees I never learned. It was just in my head, and I think it's a fairly common line in fairy tales where the king wants a potential future son-in-law to accomplish some deed of derring-do for him. Further info would of course be welcomed.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home