Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Turn It Off?

This is post 11 of Section III. To begin at the beginning, go here. Section II begins here. Section III begins here.

“But that’s just it, Ed. She doesn’t talk. She doesn’t play. I’m concerned.”
Bennett looked to the off-white ceiling for inspiration, but none rained down. Three little words seemed to be dinning about in his head, however. “Turn it off?” he offered, meeting Gwen’s gaze hopefully.
She went into talking-to-an-idiot mode. “Well yes, Ed, but it’s not that simple.”
He frowned, puzzled. “It’s not?”
“She’s not going to like our turning it off, is she? She’s used to being on it with no limits at all, as far as I can tell.”
Bennett again gazed reflectively at the picture of his daughter, whom he viewed as a fairly successful product of the turn-it-off school. “Have you brought this up with Chloe?” he inquired.
She raised her eyebrows at him. “I don’t think now is the time, Ed. Not after what that excuse for a man put her through. She’s resting right now, and I don’t think she ought to be disturbed.”
Bennett nodded his head pensively, hoping that further details of his daughter’s marital debacle would not be forthcoming.

Continue

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Ah, the weave of passive-aggressive help reaches the loom.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their warp is worse than their woof, Doug.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess passive aggression is sort of like a badly driven chariot, Lula.
The canoe simile applies to the novella? Which, by extension, means it applies to my family during my childhood. . . . I'd never really thought about us that way, but I guess it's apt. What do you expect from a lot of Weirsdos?

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home