Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bennett's Good Points

This is post 25 of Section III. To begin at the beginning, go here. Section II begins here. Section III begins here.

“Where is all this heterophobia coming from all of a sudden?” Jack faced Robert and put his hands on his shoulders.
Robert looked him in the eye. “I’m no heterophobe. But you’re right. I probably am afraid of being my parents. Who wouldn’t be? And you know why you’re not afraid?”
“They’re not my parents?”
Robert pushed him off and sat heavily on the bed. “You already are my father. Look at yourself if you don’t believe me. I’m marrying my father, God help me.” He sagged forwards, pulling his hands down his cheeks and creating a ghoulish effect.
Jack sat next to him and draped an arm over his shoulders. “Maybe we are a little alike, but is that so awful? He has his good points.”
“Name one.”
“Let’s see . . . ”
“Don’t take all night.”
“He likes the arts.”
“The established ones,” Robert said, grudgingly.
“He likes me.”
“Yes. You’re the first thing I’ve done in my whole life he’s approved of. I’m not sure it’s a point in your favor.”
“He didn’t approve of your landing Principal Clarinet in the symphony?”
“Not exactly. You see, according to him the clarinet had Pied-Pipered me away from the straight life. His attitude was, if I had to be a clarinetist I should be Principal Clarinet in a good orchestra, but if I really wanted to go places, law school was the ticket.”
“He wanted you to sell out? I don’t believe it.”
“Oh no—all good causes, all good causes. It’s tragic, really. He lost his faith in the arts. He still thinks they have something to say; it’s just that he doesn’t believe enough people of the right kind are listening.”

Continue

3 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

I consider bitterness a good point. And I applaud the dragging of children. Bennett's alright with me.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Doug. What a handsome dog you are!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Kind of you to say. I just had my ears done.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home