Friday, November 04, 2005

A Situation

This is post 26 of Section II. To begin at the beginning, go here. Section II begins here

“Looks like you got yourself a situation, Miz Weems,” Jeff said, gazing down at Gregory.
Shifting painfully, Professor Weems recognized his student. “Jeff! Watch out, Jeff. Chloe’s not herself. You know she’s got a gun?
“Chloe, you know you don’t want to do this. Think of us. Think of Elizabeth. Won’t you help me, Jeff? You can see she’s not thinking straight. Come on, Chloe. Don’t blow this thing out of proportion and do something we’ll all regret.”
Chloe hesitated. Gregory was right as usual. It would be easiest to just let it go. She tried to think, but she was sure not a single passage in Are You an Emotional Junky? fit the situation.

Continue

9 Comments:

Blogger Tom & Icy said...

That seems to be a time-leap technique. She knocked him out, tied him up, then we cut to or Fast Forward to Jeff being there. The suspense rises even higher for me because I am not positive if he was already there, or she called him, and why he is there. The jump in time is a very effective technique and gripping.

I realize that Tarantino's use of overstatement and cartoonish or Anine type violence is disgusting to many who are not familiar with the genre, but he is a very good writer and works on and writes many scripts for TV series, in particular CSI. He didn't invent anything new, he just used the techniques so liberally that other writers can now use the techniques more freely in other types of work as viewers have become more accustomed to them. It may be a very small thing, but very effective.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, and I realize I did not see Pulp Fiction, but so far as I have seen him and his stuff, I must still say "Blech."
In the manuscript it is clearer, because there is a break after she finds Jeff's card by the phone, and it is pretty clear she called him in the interval.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I always suspected it's a short trip from self-help books to matricide. I just always suspected it would work the opposite way.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

See, Tom, I'm not the dictionary-reader you think. Matricide is wrong, of course. Is there a word for murder of a spouse?

My verifier is gynfr. That could be it.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds right to me. I can't think of one right off hand, but then my head is filled with Brahms 2 right now.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

I tried looking it up but only found "familicide - killing a spouce and at least one child."
"uxorcide" was killing a wife. The x like k.
But I couldn't find anything on killing a husband.
When I typed it in "Ask Jeeves" search engine, it just said "sex without commitment."

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T&I: Thank you. I didn't know that word.

Lula: On the other hand, I hope I'm smarter than an elephant.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Weirsdo, I'm sure you smell better, anyway.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll remember that, Pimpy.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home