Friday, January 13, 2006

In God We Trust

This is post 6 of Section IV. To begin at the beginning, go here. Section II begins here. Section III begins here. Section IV begins here.

She was unpacking the groceries now, almost flawlessly graceful. It was startling to see a box of Hamburger Helper fall out when she was unloading the rice. “Whoopsy-daisy!” she exclaimed, scooping it up in one fluid motion, but casting an appealing look in his direction.
“It’s all right,” he reassured her. “You do a beautiful job, Denise.” He passed her the celery from the bag nearest him. “You really do.”
She smiled timidly, looking at him from under her long lashes. “I made your favorite casserole for dinner,” she said. It was almost a question.
He straightened, reminding himself of how well he could have done in the Marines if his parents hadn’t always belittled his dreams. “Sorry, hon. No can do.”
“Oh, that’s too bad,” she said, laying the celery down. “Do you have another meeting?”
He shook his head. “No,” he said. “I’m going on an errand for the Lord.” He took her in his arms. “Denise, honey. You know how much I’d like to be here with you and the kids. But I was—called today, and I’ve just got to go. I’ve got to protect the sanctity of marriage. I’ve got to stand up and testify, even if they put me in jail for it.”
She looked up into his eyes. “We’ll be praying for you, Mitch. You tell us all about it when you come back—if you want to.”
He kissed her forehead and folded her in a quick, tight hug. “God bless you. I’ve gotta go.”

Continue

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom & Icy said...

I guess this story is getting over my head. But maybe I'll figure it out soon. I see what you meant about reading in installments. It's a lot more difficult to concentrate on as compared to reading the book. It is good though.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

That's pushing the whole submit yourself to your husband thing pretty far.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

ewww. that look.
reminds me of 'Sleeping with the enemy' when the wife knows she'll be punished for not being perfect in every way.

just eww.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen it, Kyah, but I think you are envisioning it correctly.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home