Sunday, October 02, 2005

Cleaning Up

This is post 14 of Section I. To begin at the beginning, go here.

Robert closed the door and stood with his back against it. “Are they really gone?”
“Yes, chéri.” Jack was gathering coasters from the trunk table.
Robert came into the living room and regarded him narrowly. “If I didn’t know better, I’d swear you enjoyed yourself.”
“It’s a thing called happiness. You should try it sometime.”
“Right. Which bottle would you recommend?” Robert rattled gin, vermouth, and his Curaçao back into the bar.
Jack breezed by with the remains of the cheese tray in his hands. “Oh—‘Gin was mother’s milk to me,’” he quoted, in the refined accents of Shaw’s heroine.
“O. k. Mrs. Tanqueray. Speaking of whom, can you tolerate my connections?”
“I found them wholly unobjectionable, my dear. It was actually a pleasure to meet a man like your father.”

Continue

4 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Very literate. I like the tone of this story. It's rare to read anything written for smart people and those who aspire to be.

8:27 PM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

I guess that's why it's over my head. I'm just a dog and not that literate. Jack sounds nice though.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Doug. I didn't do it on purpose, but in addition to not buying a TV my dysfunctional parents substituted reading THE NEW YORKER aloud for conversation.

SP: Thanks for stopping by anyway. You might try back in a few days when I get to Bennett's daughter. Maybe that's more accessible.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

I see what you mean by Ed being disturbed by open displays of affection between the guys. Just reading this with the 'fly on the wall' perspective, it grates me like someone scratching fingernails across a chalk board because I am not accustomed to that life style. I was aware of it, but have never seen people behave such except in a few photos and short passing scenes in movies. You do a great job of making it seem realistic.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home